Last Monday night, approximately 12 hours after my apartment building’s four-day hot water outage ended, my building manager knocked on my door.
She was holding a space heater, still new in its box. “The heat is going to go out overnight,” she told me apologetically, handing over the heater.
We’ve had three days without heat, but I happily woke up toasty this morning. I crossed paths with my building manager today and she told me the current warmth is thanks to a temporary fix of the boiler. If all goes according to plan, we’ll have permanent heat later this week. In the meantime, I’m crossing my fingers for more of this melty, sunny weather.
But it’s not all bad! Here, for example, are five advantages to being without heat in my apartment:
5. Don’t need to take off my toque when I get home.
4. Get flattering waffle imprint of long johns from the waist down.
3. Waking up is cool and exhilarating, like camping in the mountains.
2. Don’t notice that draft from the patio door any more.
1. Apartment is warmer with the oven on, so am obligated to bake cookies.
Ever been without heat in your apartment/home/RV? Share an advantage of your own in the comments!